Monday, May 17, 2010

Accepting Israel as the Jewish State

I like Daniel Pipes.  His latest op-ed piece, Accepting Israel as the Jewish State, reminds me why.  Particularly after Yom Yerushalayim, you think about the cause of the "Middle Eastern conflict."  It has nothing to do with settlements or nothing to do with pre-1967 borders.  If they want land so badly, there are other surrounding Arabic countries that can give them more than plenty.  It is the hatred that Palestinians feel for the existence of a Jewish state.  If your feelings are so strong about that, then a concession can clearly never be made for its existence.  What I was surprised about was that 20% of Palestinians support a Jewish state, a number I thought was a bit high myself.  But even if it is that high, the challenge is getting that 20% mobilized enough where they can make 20% grow to 60%, as Pipes points out.  Short of troop invasion, which would surely backfire, it's difficult to say how one could stop the Palestinian PR machine that constantly portrays Israel as the most demonic entity in history.  If anybody has any constructive thoughts or solutions on the matter, I'd love to hear it because quite frankly, this conflict has been going on long enough.....and that's even in spite of my previous posting.     

No comments:

Post a Comment