Thursday, December 10, 2009

Obama's Quick Stop to Oslo

While Obama was in the area, he came by to Oslo to pick up his Nobel Peace Prize.  And I thought that his trip to Copenhagen was hypocritical enough!  Here we have a man who campaigned on an anti-war platform and ends up approving more troops for the war in Afghanistan. Obama stated that "[a] nonviolent movement could not have halted Hitler's armies. Negotiations cannot convince al-Qaida's leaders to lay down their arms.  To say that force is sometimes necessary is not a call to cynicism, it is a recognition of history."  It sounds like the same argument Bush used to justify his war in Iraq.  I guess the reasoning only works if Obama uses it.  I'm not disputing that there are times for war and times for peace.  Nor will I dispute the fact that war is sometimes necessary to usher in peace.  However, I wish that he would be consistent in his thinking.  Rather than be in Afghanistan, we should occupy a country that is developing nukes and is threatening to throw off the balance of power, let's say, a country like Iran.  That sounds like a good blog post, but I guess I'll have to do that when my Hanukah vacation is over...  

No comments:

Post a Comment