Thursday, November 12, 2009

How About a REAL Right to Choose?

The latest spiel I found with regards to the abortion issue in health care was about an anti-abortion amendment that was added last minute.  Apparently, this agitated the pro-abortion constituency to no avail.  "[This amendment makes] it virtually impossible for private insurance companies that participate in the new system to offer abortion coverage to women," states the NARAL.  I never understood the pro-abortion movement.  Even after Roe v. Wade, they kvetch incessantly about how there's not enough access to abortion.  NOW even says that Congress is delivering the biggest blow to abortion rights since the 1970s.  I just need to check one more time, just to make sure that I get this right.  These people are disheartened that their right to terminate another human being's life is in jeopardy.  What bothers me first and foremost is that in libertarianism, a right to abortion is not a real right at all because it deprives another individual of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. 

What is even more hypocritical, especially on the issue, is their mantra of "my body, my choice."  Let's think about that for a second.  "My body, my choice."  How about my choice to the best doctor my money can buy, or my choice to pay for a life-saving surgery?  Health care choices are the epitome of "my body, my choice," oh, yeah, and they're also life-affirming, non-aggressive choices. Here's the problem with those on the Left: they only care about choice when it comes to sex, drugs, and killing babies.  Short of that, they don't care about choice!  Choice is a buzzword that most feminists use to escape any sense of personal responsibility and make relativism the norm.  If they really cared about choice, they would be raising their voices in unison to stop employer-based insurance or give people the ability to create their own HSA's. But alas, all we have seen from the pro-abortion movement is another example of Leftist double standards that ultimately lead to the inconsistencies and hypocricies of the liberties that they claim to champion.  At least with an organization like PETA, I abhor their viewpoint on the value of human life, but at least you can't dock them for their consistency for animal rights.  Although I don't expect the obstinance of the pro-abortion movement to wane anytime soon, I would, at the very least, like to see them be consistent in advocay of their principles and support free-market ideas in the health care reform debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment